Director of Engineering - Up to £130k + Bonus
Edinburgh based organisation
One of the leading EdTech companies in the world are on mission to democratise educational assessment by making it more inclusive, fair and relevant to the 21st century.
They now work with leading educational institutions worldwide, enabling them to deliver digital exams to students onsite or remotely. Facilitating 3 million exam submissions from test-takers in over 150 countries.
The team is diverse too: 60% of staff are international, representing over 25 countries. They believe in your uniqueness, and encourage you to apply for this position even if you do not have all the experience and skills listed below.
What they are looking for:
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager with high-quality standards to jump right in and be a part of their Infrastructure team. You will work as part of a high-performance engineering team to build and maintain their digital examination platform that is used by millions of examinees and test-takers every year.
Who you are
* You are a current VP of Engineering, Engineering Manager, Team Lead, or working in a similar role
* Experience with managing teams of highly skilled engineers, ideally on large projects with many other developers
* Know what high performance looks like and have experience nurturing an agile development methodology (we use Scrum)
* Have an eye for clean, testable, maintainable, and performant code and architecture (and enjoy writing some lines of code yourself)
* You have strong experience in a OOP Language - Java, .Net, Python or similar technologies
* Production experience with continuous integration
* Experience with cloud platforms, preferably AWS, Oracle RDS, NoSQL databases and caching layers
* Familiarity with performance and security best practices
* Experience with test automation and Test Driven development is a plus
* Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code and tools like Terraform, CloudFormation, and Ansible is a plus
* You are passionate about shaping the future of assessment!
* Ensure that your team has ambitious goals that directly impact company OKRs to deliver the most high-value features.
* Contribute to a high-performance engineering culture based on high-quality code, technical innovation, and data-driven decisions.
* Manage a high-performance team with diverse skills and backgrounds.
* Act as the Hiring Manager for technical roles in the team.
* Plan and organise work, including meetings like standup, demo, retrospective, etc. as needed.
* Keep your team and its members happy and productive, and collaborate with other Engineering Managers to nurture our engineering culture.
* Support and manage your team of Engineers by building strong relationships, run 1:1, deliver individual feedback, and unblock technical obstacles.
* Empower your team through expectations management & advocating for their needs on an organisational level.
* Own release management within the team domain and work closely with other teams to coordinate work.
* Plan and organise work, including meetings like standup, demo, retrospective, etc. as needed
* Keep track of all existing and upcoming work within the team, and keep stakeholders up-to-date.
* Collaborate with Tech Lead in the team on technical architecture.
* Participate in on-call rotation.
Benefits of working:
* Possibility to contribute to change in the educational sector
* Fast paced and exciting environment in a growing scale-up company
* International work environment
* A full-day of company updates and teamwork every quarter to their HQ office in Nordics
* Flexible working hours
* Competitive salary and benefits
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0191 814 7785 for more information.