I am working with a public service client who are looking to bring in a number of platform engineers to be a member of a team of IT specialists within the business & be responsible for the development and support of the system tier in a DevOps environment.
Note - This role is remote working initially but will have a requirement for some on site working once government guidelines allow so candidates should be able to commute to the NE. All interviewing & on boarding is done remotely and the first start date available for this role is January.
In this role, you are responsible for:
1. Designs, develops, tests, implements and supports the system Infrastructure to meet challenging deadlines, quality standards, business targets and customer requirements.
2. Analyses a wide range of complex business and technical issues in order to gain a thorough understanding of the system environment and proactively identifies and resolves system issues to ensure system availability and capacity for the business.
3. Responsible for the 24/7 system support, of business critical applications in both production and non-production environments.
4. Monitors and reviews the efficient and effective running of hardware, software and system tier services.
5. Evaluates tools including open source products to ensure that the business is running products that are most appropriate and in line with the ICT strategy to deliver against the business needs.
6. Install, configure and test new versions of system tier offerings, ensuring that all products are within the business end of Life strategy and minimise impact to the business.
7. Produces departmental and project documentation - operating instructions, user guides and reference material at an appropriate level; for technical and a non-technical audience.
8. Works within a multi-disciplinary project team supporting the delivery pipeline creating user stories to document and plan tasks.
9. Plans and manages time effectively, frequently working on a number of systems/tasks in parallel, escalating and managing expectations as appropriate. Responds quickly to change and is able to re-prioritising workload as required.
10. Analyses a wide range of data e.g. technical manuals, business process documentation, system specifications and statistical performance data and resolves conflicting requirements, taking responsibility to update processes and documentation where changes are made.
11. Uses initiative to make decisions on complex technical matters and make recommendations which influence key decisions to project and DevOps team
12. Communicates effectively at all levels, verbally and in writing to establish and maintain communication with individuals and groups, internally and externally. Explains complex concepts and technical issues in a manner that is appropriate for the target audience.
13. Conducts and participates in meetings, workshops and quality reviews with customers and colleagues in relation to all responsibilities and duties.
14. Contributes towards the development of future work plans and requirements. Assists the planning process by producing time and resource estimates.
15. Operates in a quality-oriented environment and continually seeks to improve customer service by examining, recommending and implementing changes to procedures, policies and services.
16. Carries out research and development work to support future business needs e.g. pilots, evaluation and trials of new technologies, hardware and software.
17. Creates automated processes for the building and configuring of server platforms and the releasing and deploying of the software
18. Analyses the existing processes to identify opportunities for improvement using automation and new technologies
19. Creates dashboards and other tools for day-to-day monitoring and troubleshooting
20. Uses monitoring tools to find problems, and work with the relevant area to resolve them quickly.
21. Delivery of incidents, service requests, project work and associated work within SLA's and KPI's
* Programming skills within a system tier environment. The individual will have strong Unix/Linux administration and language skills:
* Shell scripting
* Jython scripting
* Experience in the use of the following DevOps concepts and tools:
* * Deploying and configuring servers in a cloud environment (Terraform, Fog).
* * Configuration management (Puppet, Chef, Ansible).
* * Continuous Integration Engine (Jenkins, Travis-CI).
* * Continuous Inspection (SonarQube).
* * Virtualisation (VMWare, Amazon EC2).
* * Networking Concepts, technologies and protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, DNS). Monitoring (Sensu, Consul). . Penetration testing (OWASP ZAP)
Recent experience with
* WebSphere Application Server Network
* WebSphere MQ
* IBM HTTP Server
Experience and knowledge of installation and management of one or more of the following Open
Source software products
* JBoss Application Server
* Apache Tomcat
* Apache HTTP Server
* Rabbit MQ
Experience and knowledge of one or more of the following
* IBM Webseal
* Windows Powershell scripting
* IBM Tivoli Access Manager
* LDAP - Novell e-directory
* Achieve Forms
* K2 Blackpearl
* GitLab, GitHub
IT related degree or equivalent
Minimum of 2 years' experience in developing and /or supporting IT systems
Send in your CV ASAP for immediate consideration.