Lead Data Engineer - who we are and why work for us?
(Priority Role, Interviewing Now)
My client are committed to building a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive environment that values equality for all. Their vision is that by 'championing inclusion, they'll become the most loved and trusted fashion retailer'. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are, therefore, at the heart of their culture.
They are a forward-thinking digital retailer with a financial services proposition to be proud of. They are customer-obsessed, serving them through three core brands: JD Williams, Simply Be, and Jacamo. They're experienced, with over 160 years of trading under their belt. They're inclusive, as they believe in fashion without boundaries; and they're sustainable, striving to make as little impact on the planet as possible.
Looking for a Lead Data Engineer to join the Data Engineering team. Are you looking to shape a new team, work with the latest technologies in data, and solve complex problems? They are looking for a Data Engineering Lead to help bring data to the heart of the company. You will be part of Group Data and will focus on exploring solutions to maintain, improve, and scale our use of data.
What's in it for you?
* Hybrid working and flexible start times
* 24 days holiday (+ 8 bank holidays) with the option to buy an additional 10 days
* Annual bonus scheme
* Enhanced maternity and adoption leave
* Company pension with up to 8% contribution
* Mental Health support both internally and externally, including access to our wellbeing champions and counselling services
* A range of financial wellbeing support
* Colleague discount across all brands
* Onsite café with subsidised rates and local restaurant discounts!
* Life Assurance and Private Medical Insurance
* Paid volunteer time - all our colleagues can take a full day paid to volunteer for a charity of their choice
What will you do as a Lead Data Engineer?
* Lead a team of engineers to create, maintain, and extend our analytics platform.
* Be responsible for the design patterns for ingesting, transforming, and exposing data.
* You will drive the adoption of strong CICD practises to reduce risks to deployments.
* Coach your team in best practice and coding standards. Work with the wider Data Engineering and Group Data team to share ways of working.
* Develop your team's capabilities in software development to better enable them to support the analytics platform. Champion test-driven quality first engineering practises.
* You will collaborate across technology squads and teams as part of your role, whilst maintaining delivery and outcome focus.
* You will be working in an agile operating model with cross-functional teams.
* Effectively manage the Analytics Platform, ensuring the platform is reliable, scalable, and secure. You will take a proactive approach to monitoring.
What skills and experience will you have?
* A strong communicator, able to bring complex technical concepts to life for business stakeholders and equally convey business needs effectively to technical audiences.
* Experience delivering large-scale transformation projects with focus on defining end-to-end data architecture.
* An experienced data engineer with a deep interest in how data architectures can improve experiences and drive better business decision making.
* Experience working with the Google Cloud Platform stack (GCS, Big Query, Composer, Dataflow, Cloud Functions, Cloud Run, GKE) is preferred, but not essential.
* Curiosity to experiment and improve, whilst staying aligned on outcomes.
* Experience of Python
* Experience of SQL
* Experience of GCP
* Experience of AWS
* Understanding of Agile in principles and practices and tools like Jira and Confluence.
* Experience with Google Cloud products (BigQuery, GCS, Cloud Composer, Dataflow etc.) or similar products from other cloud platforms
* Experience with open-source data-stack tools such as Airflow, Airbyte, DBT, Kafka etc.
* Experience with data visualisation tools such as PowerBI, Tableau and/or Looker
* Knowledge of Teradata, Mainframe and/or Google Analytics is preferable
* Appreciation of data management, analytics, science, and visualisation workflows and data needs
* Appreciation of the modern cloud data stack, headless BI, analytics engineering, data meshes and lake-houses
Their promise to you:
They're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. They do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.