INTERNAL ROLE TITLE: Senior DevOps Engineer
REPORTS TO: CTO
FUNCTION: AWS / DevOps
As the leading provider of software solutions for public and private sector transport management and smart ticketing, for nearly 20 years we have been trusted by millions of passengers to get them where they need to be. Today, our solutions can be found throughout the UK, processing over half a billion transactions a year.
Since we started in 2003, a wide range of local authorities, transport operators and hardware manufacturers have depended on our capabilities in strategy, design, development, testing and delivery. We support a variety of customers, from simple single-user and concessionary travel programmes, to complex multi-modal and multi-operator configurations. Examples include:
· Our technology powers Transport for West Midlands' trailblazing 'Swift' integrated ticketing system, one of the largest and most well-respected schemes in the UK, and the largest after "Oyster" in London
· We are trusted by 60+ local authorities to deliver their vital concessionary travel programmes - more than 40% of the market
· Over 30% of all ITSO card terminals in the UK run on our software
· We have over 3.5 million cardholders currently under management, with transaction values in the tens of millions annually
Employing 90+ people across the UK and Bulgaria, our in-house research, strategy and development capabilities give us an affordable, well-managed ability to develop market leading technologies and affordably maintain existing products. As a small-to-medium-sized enterprise, we pride ourselves on our reputation for outstanding products, technical support, delivery capability and high levels of customer service.
As the Senior DevOps engineer you will be joining the Technology team, focused on changing how our development teams work - leading the change into AWS. It's key that you bring personal accountability and ownership of the role - you will be offered the (supported) autonomy to determine best practice, and well as the scope to determine what any future methodologies we should be looking to embrace. You will also be working alongside an AWS Premier Consulting Partner and Solution Provider to make all of this possible. They will work inconjunction with your ideas, collabortate and upskill you to allow you to migrate and undergo an exciting greenfield project. Having worked in a software environment before, you will need to translate complex technical understanding for both a technical and non-technical audience. Ideally a talented individual with the passion to develop yourself, our business and our colleagues, within cloud based architecture with scope to express themselves.
Essence of Role - Key Accountabilities
· Deploy, manage, and operate scalable, highly available, and fault-tolerant systems on cloud platforms.
· Implement and control the flow of data to and from cloud.
· Identify appropriate use of AWS operational best practices.
· Estimate AWS usage costs and identify operational cost control mechanisms.
· Migrate on-premises workloads to AWS.
· Pro-active communication of technical problems and issues.
· Implement and manage continuous delivery systems and methodologies on AWS.
· Implement and automate security controls, governance processes, and compliance validation.
· Define and deploy monitoring, metrics, and logging systems on AWS.
· Implement systems that are highly available, scalable, and self-healing on the AWS platform.
· Design, manage, and maintain tools to automate operational processes.
· Working with DevOps engineers to identify areas of skill improvement and transfer knowledge.
Competency / Performance Driver
· Good communicator at all levels
· Approachable and pro-active approach
· Takes personal responsibility
· Open, trustworthy and trusting
· Able to advise and direct stakeholders
· Working in an Agile environment
· Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, Git, Elastic Stack, CI/CD tooling such as Jenkins
· Strong knowledge of AWS services, Lambda, DynamoDB, EC2, S3, CloudWatch
· At least one scripting language, Python/JS/go/Ruby
· Happy working with Linux and Windows, and troubleshooting issues on both
· Keen to learn new skills.
· Ideally has come from a development background or has a strong understanding of technology and how developers think
· Demonstrable record of AWS, micro-services
· Extremely proficient with AWS across a wide range of services.
· Good communication skills are essential in order to get to the best solution or options for the customer.
· Presentable and articulate
What we offer
· Knowledge sharing (working with experienced professionals)
· Opportunity to work with AWS Babelfish - first use of the tool in a commercial instance since it launched.
· Great work environment and friendly atmosphere
· Company funded health cash plan
· Office in Dorset
· Additional health cover
· Auto-enrolment for pension
· Regular team-building and office events, BBQ trips to the beach
· Career development
· Competitive remuneration package