The Platform Engineers role is to provide automation, tooling and cloud infrastructure capabilities for digital delivery teams. This is a hands-on role, that will carry out a wide range of activities, from actively building and maintaining platform infrastructure, developing our technical standards and ways of working, through to coaching other engineers and engaging with non-technical people at all levels of seniority. The role will operate in a Dev Ops environment which will also provide support for the relevant applications and platforms as required.
Build, maintain & support infrastructure for high-volume, highperformance, high-availability applications and platforms.
* Development and implementation of technical standards and ways of working. Ensuring that technical standards are being followed by colleagues and third-party suppliers.
* Effective delivery of projects and activities. Escalation and management of delivery challenges.
* Provide architectural guidance, direction and consultation. Lead on technology design decisions.
* Drive continuous improvement in the performance and resilience of our live services.
* Understand and manage cost drivers, especially for cloud platforms and tooling.
* Create and maintain solution/technical design documentation.
* Support technology innovation.
* Motivated to continuously improve and achieve excellence.
* Promotes diversity, team spirit and a sense of mutual responsibility to deliver customer excellence.
Key Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications:
* Demonstrable working experience developing and maintaining cloud based infrastructure for high-volume, high-performance, high-availability distributed systems.
* Demonstrably experienced and capable 'Infrastructure as Code' practitioner. Considerable working experience with Continuous Configuration Automation tooling.
* Demonstrably experienced and capable Continuous Delivery practitioner. Considerable working experience with CI/CD tooling and practices.
* Considerable working experience with cloud infrastructure security best practices and the application of them.
* Experienced maintaining, implementing and supporting monitoring and alerting.
Knowledge and Skills
* A breadth of knowledge and experience building, managing and supporting infrastructure on AWS.
* Strong skills & experience with Unix/Linux environments.
* Experienced with scripting languages/tools such as Bash, Ruby, Python.
* Continuous Configuration Automation tooling such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Terraform.
* CI/CD tooling such as Jenkins, TeamCity.