The role holder will be a senior member of a multi-disciplinary Team consisting of technical specialists and delivery experts. Reporting to the Head of IT Infrastructure, the role holder will be expected to perform as Subject Matter Expert for multiple domains, and have full responsibility for the strategy, design, development, management and delivery of platforms and services including (but not limited to) AWS and Azure cloud environments, VMWare, Windows Servers, Linux Servers, Office365 (SharePoint Online, OneDrive etc.), Active Directory, Azure Directory services and Identity Management. This is a mix of ensuring existing systems are operating securely, managing the application of relevant system updates in line with changes in the current threat landscape, and designing and deploying new services in line with modern industry best practices.
As Solutions Architect, the role holder will work with the other 2 Solutions Architects and in collaboration with Heads of Service from across the IT Services department to define strategy and propose, design and implement modern and innovative solutions for IT provision.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy, Design and Development:
* Responsible for the proposal, design and implementation of new solutions to business led and technology driven IT Such solutions must meet the XXX's Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery needs while keeping us at the forefront of technology
* Define the strategy for IT solutions in conjunction with the Heads of Services and other Solutions Architects
Compliance and Improvement:
* To identify functionality within our cloud services including AWS, Microsoft Azure and Office 365 and to design, propose and implement these in order to enhance service to the XXX
* To support the audit of XXX's systems ensuring appropriate licensing, legislation and policies are implemented, complied with and maintained
* To research the latest trends to keep knowledge current and to inform the Heads of Services of suggested changes to policy and practice
* Take responsibility of the integration of system design best practice into existing processes and procedures and facilitate updates to these as required
* To ensure IT Services and School colleagues manage compliance and that applications and licences are deployed and maintained to expert standards, according to users' requirements and departmental processes across development, pre-production and production environments
Communications, Influence & Reporting:
* Develop and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, to both share service information, work collaboratively across Schools and Services, and influence decisions regarding the XXX's services
* Ensure all systems and services are fully documented to appropriate standards to enable effective and efficient support of the environments in all circumstances, including creation of documented processes for frontline staff
* Proactively support the resolution of complex incidents and problems escalated by IT teams using Industry standard ITIL processes, including managing escalations to 3rd party suppliers, which may have significant implications for the XXX's IT services
* May be required to take on one of the ITIL Process Owner or Process Manager roles within the IT Services department
Technical Design Authority (TDA):
* Key adviser to the TDA representing all matters relating to infrastructure, cloud environments and solutions design
* Responsible for validating externally produced designs for service enhancements, products and solutions
* Ensure all solutions meet the XXX's Business Continuity (BC) and Disaster Recovery (DR) needs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
* Strong track record in a similar senior role of proactively defining and delivering architecture strategy, service and solutions in a large complex environment, and of challenging established methods.
* Excellent knowledge of current IT technologies, products and design methods.
* Solid understanding of standards and trends for IT Infrastructure design, provision and management and a strong passion for today's and tomorrow's technology.
* Must be able to demonstrate an extensive working knowledge of current and emerging cloud technologies and be able to detail the support challenges for these technologies, describing how to overcome these and incorporate them into your daily working practice.
* Significant and demonstrable experience in designing and building services for High Availability and Knowledge and experience of modern IT architectures.
* Extensive experience in designing, installing, backing up and administering secure IT infrastructure services and platforms.
* Understanding of multiple Infrastructure technologies including VMWare, VSphere, Windows Server, Linux Server.
* Excellent understanding of cloud technologies including AWS, Microsoft Azure and Office 365 demonstrating experience of hybrid deployment and integrating cloud services.
* Understanding of Active Directory and it's supporting components along with the full Microsoft stack.
* An enthusiasm for Office365 products and platforms including SharePoint Online, Exchange Online, Teams, Dynamics and associated licensing.
* Experience of Identity Management design and provision including Office365, AzureAD, SAML, OAUTH2 and OIDC.
* Experience of working with non‐technical stakeholders and communicating highly complex and technical information to such an audience.
* Excellent leadership and influencing skills that include demonstrable experience of leading teams.
* Experience in implementing and working to ITIL standards ensuring consistent quality of service delivery.
* Demonstrable experience of policy and process design and implementation within an IT architecture function.