Platform Engineer - Edinburgh
Up to £70k DOE - 2 days remote working
This is a hybrid role requiring a diverse set of skills in AWS Public Cloud, Unix System Admin, Network Admin, and On-Premise Data Centre Hardware Systems Engineering.
The role is responsible for establishing portable systems designs and strategy between public cloud hosting and on-premise, bare metal hosting of our network monitoring and big data analytic platforms.
This role encompasses:
* developing unified technical solutions for deploying large scale systems between public and bare metal cloud environments,
* porting our container orchestration and technology stacks from public cloud to bare metal,
* developing our bare metal architectures and reference models,
* establishing the networking, storage tiers and node configurations,
* benchmarking performance, scale and availability
* working with hardware and network vendors to develop bills of material for specific deployment configurations.
This role will work with our DevOps, Operations and Development staff to deliver turnkey, on-premise, bare metal cloud solutions for our acquisition and big data customers.
Core Skill Set:
* Real world knowledge of Kubernetes, container orchestration, microservices and Docker
* Linux system administration managing large scale deployments
* Network administration establishing and maintaining data centre-scale LANs, WANs
* Practical designs of horizontally and vertically scaled storage architectures such as JBOD, NAS, SANS, Object Storage
* Benchmarking - practical use of metrics, logging, analytics and tools for
* Capacity evaluations
* Proficiency in Python, Bash
* Supporting services on multiple cloud providers (AWS, Google, Azure)
* knowledge of OpenStack
* 5 or more years' experience with a mix of Software Engineering, Data Centre Engineering, Site Reliability, Systems Administration and Network Administration
* 2 years' experience with infrastructure-as-code deployment tooling and development and related virtualization and container-based solutions (Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Lambda)
* Experience supporting services on-premise, bare metal
* Experience with enterprise/IT security best practices
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics or related technical degree
***Everything discussed will remain confidential***