The Migration Consultant plays a key role in the success of the client's data center migration implementation. As a Migration Consultant/Subject Matter Expert you will work in conjunction with the client's business and technical teams to properly migrate applications across data centers. In this non hands-on technical role, you will be responsible for the management of moving applications through established workflows as they are migrated from legacy to new data-centers. You should demonstrate a holistic understanding of data-center migration processes, including technical skills, status reporting (both on paper and verbal), client communications, risk evaluation and reporting, project team deliverables and the ability to ensure efficiency and productivity across multiple teams.
Role & Responsibilities
* Provide work-day management of multiple data-center migration related projects, including off-hour migration events
* Develop and effectively communicate migration playbooks with timelines and expectations to co-located teams for execution during off-hour migration events
* Coordinating with co-located teams, manage all migration plans and wave event planning (i.e. migration playbooks)
* Manage the efficient movement of application migrations through phase-gates and across work-flow hand-offs
* Scope, risk and issue management, including documenting, communicating and facilitating resolutions or mitigation plans
* Coordinate the activities of multi-functional teams, as well as the project task dependencies and schedule
Skills & Qualifications
* 2-5 years IT transformation and data center optimization project experience (assessments, migrations, consolidations, virtualization projects, etc), ideally within a Management Consulting or IT Professional Services firm
* 1-2 years experience managing data center migration waves or aspects of an application or workload migration within the context of a data center move
* A holistic understanding of IT infrastructure inclusive of server, storage, network, database, etc.
* Demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize work, manage time and respond effectively to a rapidly changing environment
* Experience planning, designing, and executing data-center expansion, consolidations, relocations, and migrations and documenting data-center changes including project plans, architectural plans, CMDB usage and various enterprise class project tracking and reporting tools